How to Organise a Demonstration
"Does not wisdom call out? Does not understanding raise her voice? On the heights along the way, where the paths meet, she takes her stand; beside the gates leading into the city, at the entrances, she cries aloud.” Proverbs 8: 1-3
- Before, during and after. Prayer is a foundation for action not an excuse for inactivity.
"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labour in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain." Psalm 127:1
- Appoint a Steering Committee.
Decide on Date, Time, place and advertising strategy.
- Check with your city council.
- Quicker to e-mail or fax, urge them for immediate response for advertising purposes.
Always take Letter of Permission to the demo.
4. PERSONAL INVITATION
- Approach your pastor with a humble and teachable attitude.
- Share the vision, share the Scriptures and give him material on the issue.
- Make an appointment to come back for a second visit to confirm his involvement.
- Urge him to lead the way.
- Advertising: Websites, e-mailings, SMS’s, radio, newspapers, your own publications, mail outs, flyers, posters, pulpit announcement, church bulletin and personal invitation.
- Actively recruit with videos, tracts and other teaching materials.
- Press releases before and after the event. Invite them and then write a mini article to tell them how it went, something they can use for publication.
- Have press packages ready for them.
- Encourage the participants to write letters to the editor on the issue.
- Appoint a press spokesman and tell everyone to refer media representatives to them.
- Big lettering, able to be read from a distance; black or red on white or black on yellow works best. Keep it simple, clean, clear and straightforward. Remember the purpose is to inform and challenge. Some ideas:
“Don’t abort Africa’s future”, “Back to the Bible”, “Abortion kills babies”, “Jesus is Lord”, or“Choose Life”
- It is important to use the occasion for literature distribution to inform, inspire and involve.
- Have your people as informed as possible. Appoint a spokesman for the group to handle the press.
"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.” 1 Peter 3:15
- Singing and worshipping during the demonstration is appropriate and a form of spiritual warfare and witness.
- Remember to praise the Lord regardless of the outcome of the demo. If you have been faithful, He will see to the results.
“When I say to the wicked, 'O wicked man, you will surely die,' and you do not dissuade him from his ways, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the wicked man to turn fromhis ways and he does not do so, he will die for his sin, but you will have saved yourself.” Ezekiel 33: 7-9